Aussie equities are eyeing a 0.5% lift at the open, following a positive session overnight. We saw U.S. stocks rise on the back of Disney revealing it has 100 million streaming subscribers and COVID-19 vaccine hopes.
Medical device company, Johnson & Johnson have struck up a $1 billion deal with the U.S. government to manufacture 100 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, if it proves successful. Following this news, its share price rose 0.8%.
What to watch today:
- ResMed (ASX:RMD), they announced their fourth quarter fiscal 2020 earnings today. The highlights included a revenue increase of 9% to $770.3m and a net operating profit increase of 84% compared to the prior year period. The strong result is largely due to strong ventilator demand during the period.
- Energy producers, like Beach Energy (ASX:BPT) and Woodside Petroleum (ASX:WPL) could push higher today following the lift in the oil price. Both stocks closed 0.7% lower yesterday.
- And with the gold price once again hitting a new record overnight, up 1.5% to US$2,053 an ounce, keep an eye on gold miners like Northern Star Resources (ASX:NST) and Saracen Mineral Holdings (ASX:SAR).
Local trading ideas:
- Centuria Capital Group (ASX:CNI) is showing a bullish signal according to Trading Central’s charting. Yesterday, Centuria closed 5.5% up at $1.83 and Trading Central believes the stock’s share price may rise to between $1.89 – $1.93 in 24 days according to standard principles of technical analysis.
- Fortescue Metals Group (ASX:FMG), Bell Potter has lifted FMG’s price target by 17% to $12.50, but have lowered their recommendation of the stock from a Hold to a Sell following strong share price appreciation. A near term catalyst for FMG includes the release of its FY20 financial results and declaration of its final FY20 dividend on the 24th of August. The stock goes ex-dividend likely in early September.